Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chapter 26

For this I read the "The Unknown Citizen"

This poem was definitely not my favorite I have ever read. I also did not find anything super ironic about it, but I'm taking a stab in hopes to become a better AP student. After reading this, I find it ironic that a poem would be written about an average old joe like the guy the narrator is describing. Then I go on to and remember the "Bureau of Statistics were in on every detail of this man's life. It is weird that they would want to know so much about a guy who is just like everyone else in the world. Then it goes to talk about he had five children, which Eugenists say is a normal amount of kids. I actually have never heard of a Eugenist, but to have one giving advise about this average guy being talked about seems like it would cost money to get his opinion. In general, to be researching every detail of this man's life is just ironic. He has done no heroics, nothing spectacular, nothing outgoing, yet he is still under the microscope. For him to be called the "unknown man" is the biggest irony of the poem because infact everything is known about him except his name. All things this man has done are known, but his name is left a mystery, which of course is a great example of irony

No comments:

Post a Comment