Friday, November 5, 2010

Whatif

Last night, while I lay thinking here,
some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
and pranced and partied all night long
and sang their same old Whatif song:
Whatif I'm dumb in school?
Whatif they've closed the swimming pool?
Whatif I get beat up?
Whatif there's poison in my cup?
Whatif I start to cry?
Whatif I get sick and die?
Whatif I flunk that test?
Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
Whatif nobody likes me?
Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?
Whatif I don't grow taller?
Whatif my head starts getting smaller?
Whatif the fish won't bite?
Whatif the wind tears up my kite?
Whatif they start a war?
Whatif my parents get divorced?
Whatif the bus is late?
Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight?
Whatif I tear my pants?
Whatif I never learn to dance?
Everything seems well, and then
the nighttime Whatifs strike again!

Shel Silverstein

This poem fits the characteristics that Silverstein is known by. Its fun rhythm and rhymes about everyday situations makes it a perfect signature poem of his. The repetition in this poem really shows how the mind can run wild at night, going through many thoughts rapidly. This poem is very relatable to pretty much anyone. Everybody has those times when they just lie in bed thinking about life, and sometimes things that are completely obsurd. This poem captures those thoughts by offering realistic ideas that may shoot through peoples' heads to more farfetched ideas that are unique to each individual. This poem shows how people can be self-conscious when they have time to think. The ending of this poem is that brief moment when sleep is almost upon you, then you are suddenly hit by another thought that keeps you going on to new thoughts. It is a process that is tiring and sometimes frustrating, but at the same time entertaining. Silverstein captures all of this in the poem by using his repetition and unique ideas.


One thing useful from this poem is how is runs through the actual stages of a real event. The poem goes from unrest to a brief moment of rest, just like at night-time your mind can go from thought after thought to suddenly slowing down and being ready to sleep. The idea of portraying the real time events in the same order as in your poem helps it make more sense and adds effect. This process can be used for any type of poem, from school to seasons to the development of your life. This process also helps set up your poems by helping you know an obvious starting point and a logical ending point. The sequence this poem follows is obvious and really portrays the chaos that happens when your mind runs wild at night. Using a technique like this could be an effective way to add more feeling to your poems and help readers easily relate to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment